Saturday, October 15, 2016

Bonus Blog Post: Celebrating 50!

Before you hit me up with birthday wishes or comments on how great I look for my age, hold those accolades. The 50 I'm choosing to celebrate today, almost without realizing it, is my 50th blog post as of yesterday!

When I wrote my first blog post on February 12, 2012, is was simply a movie review of a much-talked about indie film, Pariah, directed by newcomer Dee Rees, produced by Spike Lee, and starring breakout actress Adepero Oduye. Moved by its dynamic storytelling, I simply wanted a platform outside of a social media page, where I could not only share my thoughts with others but organize them in a format that would encourage deeper reflection. Forty-nine posts later, and this platform has allowed me to "rant, review, and reflect" on everything from social issues, gender roles, love, loss, blessings in disguise, and dealing with adversity, motivated often by my own personal experiences in navigating life, and through my observation of the experiences and triumphs of others. As a byproduct of my posts, I've made new friends, enjoyed great feedback, engaged in thought-provoking discussions, and further strengthened my skills (and discipline) in writing--something I've loved to do since I was a little girl, growing up in Seat Pleasant, Maryland, lying across my twin bed with a notebook and a pencil.

So, to anyone who has taken time to read at least one of my blog posts, leave a comment, or in any way felt inspired by my words; for those who encouraged me to keep going (and for family members who flatter me often with their disbelief that I don't write for a larger, more widely-seen platform), thank you! Your support has been--and continues to be--the wind beneath my (writing) wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment